Najeeb Jung again seeks bus lane proposal from Kejriwal govt


The Delhi government’s plan to impose a fine of Rs 2,000 on motorists obstructing buses in their dedicated lanes may further get delayed as Lt Governor Najeeb Jung has once again sought a file pertaining to the proposal.

The Lt Governor’s move, according to PTI, comes nearly a month after he had given his go-ahead to the AAP government to create such lanes on major roads but with certain riders.

Sources in the government said transport department has again sent the file relating to proposal to the Lt Governor office and expressed “disappointment” over the development as bus lane project is already delayed so much.

“The Lt Governor has once again sought draft notification of the proposal pertaining to creation of bus lanes on major roads and imposition of fine of Rs 2,000 on those motorists obstructing plying of buses in their dedicated lanes.

“In June, Jung had given his go-ahead, but don’t know why he has again sought file despite the fact that we have incorporated traffic police views also, as asked by the LG office, in the draft notification,” a source said.

On June 6, Jung had approved the Kejriwal government’s proposal to create bus lanes, but also asked it to come out clean on some issues including plying of goods vehicles in bus lanes and relaxations to emergency vehicles, in the notification to be issued by it and also ensure smooth movement of traffic and maintenance of public order.

LG had also asked the AAP dispensation to hold formal consultation with Delhi Traffic Police and incorporate their inputs in the notification.

Earlier in March, Lt Governor had sought a clarification from the Delhi government on this proposal to create dedicated bus lanes, the Arvind Kejriwal government had on June 3 sent back the plan making “minor” changes in it.