Kejriwal government bans Chinese firecrackers this Diwali


The Delhi government on Friday resolved to ensure foolproof implementation of the ban on Chinese firecrackers this festive season admitting their sale and use continued in the city despite restrictions.

Kapil Mishra, soon after taking interim charge of the environment department, directed its Secretary to devise a plan and issue an advisory in this regard. Minister Imran Hussain is on Haj pilgrimage.

Chinese firecrackers

“Have instructed the Secretary of Environment to ensure a complete ban on Chinese crackers across Delhi. The Chinese firecrackers are said to be unsafe, hazardous to use and have detrimental effects on peoples health. Last years experience says it is in use and available everywhere,” Mishra said in a series of twwets.

He said teams will be formed to check Chinese firecrackers illegal trade and keep a tab. The teams will also conduct raids, he said.

“The government will issue an advisory. RWAs (Resident Welfare Associations) and civil society organisations will be assisting the teams during the drives,” he said.

Last year, the government had written to the Customs Department to continue to enforce the ban on such firecrackers.

The Centre had issued a public notification in 2014 warning importers and public of the legal consequences if they used such crackers.

Centre had also said it was “illegal” to sell imported crackers (including Chinese crackers) in retail, since there had been no permit given to anyone to import such crackers.

(With PTI inputs)