3,500 phone calls and messages in six months between Army Major Nikhil Handa and Shailza Dwivedi, murdered wife of another army officer


Nikhil Rai Handa, the Indian Army Major, who was arrested over the weekend for allegedly killing another Army Major’s wife, Shailza Dwivedi, had exchanged 3,500 calls and messages with the victim in the last six months before slitting her throat and mowing her down with his car. This was revealed in a Delhi court, which sent him to a four-day police custody on Monday.

Army Major

While granting the custody, the magistrate said “Since the weapon, clothes worn by the accused at the time of offence are to be recovered, the place from where the victim was picked up by the accused and route followed by the accused to the place of occurrence is to be ascertained, the persons contacted by the accused after commission of the crime are to be ascertained, the source of weapon of offence is to be established, the places where the accused visited after the commission of crime from Delhi to Meerut are to be ascertained, in my considered opinion, four days police custody is justified.”

“Judging by the number of calls he made, he was too possessive about her,” NDTV quoted DCP, Delhi Police, Vijay Kumar as saying.

Handa was reportedly very active on Facebook and had very few friends in his social life. It was on Facebook, where he had first seen the photos of Shailza on a common friend’s timeline in 2015.

Shailza’s husband, Major Amit Dwivedi, was unaware of Shailza’s friendship with Handa until  he caught them having a video call. Major Dwivedi then warned Handa to never visit his house again.

Handa, was arrested, in relation to the death of Shailza, from Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut on Sunday. Shailza, wife of Major Amit Dwivedi, was found dead with her throat slit near the Delhi Cantonment metro station on Saturday afternoon.

Dwivedi had gone to the Army‘s base hospital for her routine physiotherapy in her husband’s official military vehicle. The driver dropped her outside the main entrance of the base hospital. Around 30-minutes later, the driver reportedly returned to the hospital to pick the Major’s wife up, but was informed that she had missed her scheduled physiotherapy session as she had failed to turn up.

Soon, cops received a call from passers-by about a body lying on the road with the face visibly crushed as a result of being run over. Police arrived at the spot and found that the woman’s throat too had been split. The Army Major was immediately informed as police sent the body for post-mortem.

The cops suspect that the woman may have been murdered first before being run over by the car in order to make the murder appear as a case of road accident. The night before he allegedly murdered Shailza, Handa had fought with his wife over his obsession for the victim, who was also a beauty contest finalist.

Police have also found traces of blood and Shailza’s hair inside Major Handa’s Honda City car.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here