Delhi HC quashes lower court’s order directing CBI to release seized documents from Rajendra Kumar’s office

1

Delhi High Court on Tuesday quashed the order passed by Patiala House court directing the CBI to release documents seized from the office of Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal’s Principal Secretary Rajendra Kumar, last year.

Delhi government said it will appeal against the single judge order.

According to PTI, a bench of Justice P S Teji, while allowing the appeal of CBI, said that the trial court exceeded in its jurisdiction and the order had self-contradictory reasons.

“The appeal is allowed. The trial court order stands quashed,” the bench said.

CBI, on 1 February, had submitted before the high court that the seized documents do not paralyse the functioning of the AAP government, as alleged.

It had said that at the “initial stage of investigation relevancy of the documents cannot be disclosed even if known to the probe agency, as it can do harm to the ongoing investigation”.

The Delhi government had countered CBI’s contention, saying the “agency has picked up documents which have nothing to do with the investigation and it is hampering the government’s functioning”.

The federal investigating agency on 20 January was directed by the lower court to return some documents seized by it during the raids at Kumar’s office.

The judge had said, “The application dated 21 December, 2015 filed by the government of NCT of Delhi is disposed of. CBI is directed to release the documents in terms of para number 8 of the order.”

This had prompted Kejriwal to take to twitter to mock Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

In His tweet, Kejriwal had said, “After today’s CBI court order directing release of docs seized from CMO, PMO owes an explanation to the nation since CBI reports to PM.”

More to come

 

 

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY