The political crisis in Karnataka deepened on Saturday after as many as 14 MLAs from the ruling Congress-JDS alliance resigned from the assembly, They arrived to meet the state Assembly Speaker to submit their resignations. Notable among those resigning from the assembly were Ramesh Jarkiholi, H Vishwanath, Pratap Gowda Patil, Mahesh Kumatalli, Shivaram Hebbar, Subba Reddy, K Gopalaiah who arrived to meet Karnataka Assembly Speaker KR Ramesh Kumar.
One of Vishwanath was being accompanied by one of the aides of BJP’s Karnataka chief BS Yeddyurappa.
The Speaker, however, has not accepted their resignation as he was not in his office. Speaker Ramesh Kumar, according to Times of India, said that there was was a procedure for MLAs to resign. “They have to take an appointment with me. I am not sitting in a market place and blackmail tactics of spreading rumours to resign will not work,” he said.
Congress MLA Ramalinga Reddy was quoted by ANI, “I have come to submit my resignation to the Speaker. I don’t know about my daughter(Congress MLA Sowmya Reddy), she is an independent woman.”
This has come just days after two Congress MLAs BS Anand Singh and Ramesh Jarkiholi resigned from the assembly. The Speaker is likely to accept the resignation of Singh and Jarkiholi since the Congress had made up its mind to go for the polls.
- 10 Congress-JD(S) MLAs have left for Mumbai. 3 Congress MLAs Ramalinga Reddy, S.T. Somashekar, & Munirathna have stayed behind.
- Mallikarjun Kharge of Congress: Many of the MLAs who want to leave Congress have been associated with the party for a long time. I’ve faith that they’ll stay with us and support the party. I’m going to Bengaluru. I’ll make further comments after looking at the ground situation there (ANI)
- Three Karnataka Congress MLAs S.T. Somashekar, Byrathi Basavaraj, & Munirathna, who had resigned, want former Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to be made the Chief Minister (ANI)
- Yeddyurappa says that DK Shivakumar tore the resignation letters of some rebel MLAs, calls it condemnable, reports ANI
- BJP’s DV Sadananda Gowda says that BS Yeddyurappa will be the Chief Minister if a new government is formed, reports ANI. Both CM HD Kumaraswamy and Karnataka Congress President Dinesh Gundu Rao are outside India.
- Congress troubleshooter DK Shivakumar is holding a meeting with some of the rebel Congress MLAs at his official residence