Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced the extension of the 21-day nationwide lockdown till 3 May. He made the announcement in his address to the nation.
Here are the highlights of his speech and other related developments:
- All domestic and international scheduled Airlines operations shall remain suspended till 11.59 pm of 3rd May 2020: Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Delhi will fully implement PM’s lockdown measures, says Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- All passenger train services on Indian Railways including Premium trains, Mail/Express trains, Passenger trains, Suburban Trains, Kolkata Metro Rail, Konkan Railway etc shall continue to remain cancel till the 2400hrs of 3rd May 2020, tweets Ministry of Railways
- Every state will be judged closely on the implementation of lockdown. Certain relaxations will be given from 20 April to those states where coronavirus hotspots will not exist
- I’ve decided to extend the lockdown till 3 May, all earlier restrictions to remain in force.
- Everyone wanted the lockdown to be extended
- The country has benefited from the social distancing and the lockdown
- Had India not adopted a holistic and integrated approach, the result would have been so frightening that we can’t even imagine.
- We did not wait for the crisis to get bigger to act
- We announced 21-day lockdown when we had only 550 coronavirus cases
- Like a disciplined soldier, you are discharging your duties. This is what ‘We The People’ in the constitution mean. The display of our collective power.
Address to the nation. https://t.co/26sVP2br5n
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 14, 2020