Dalit protesters have thronged to streets in huge numbers across India to protest against the dilution of the SC/ST Act by the Supreme Court. Their call for Bharat Bandh has had a crippling effect across India. Faced with the impact of the call for bandh, Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has said that his government did not agree with the Supreme Court and it will file a review petition against the apex court’s verdict.
Among those voicing their concerns over the dilution of the SC/ST Act by the Supreme Court are also some of the ruling BJP MPs. BJP’s Dalit MP, Udit Raj, was quoted by News18, “The government failed to communicate to Dalits and that is the reason we are seeing this protest. We should not link this to politics but it is true that the Dalits came out in support of the government during elections but are now upset. I appeal to the activists to protest peacefully.”
Here are the LIVE Updates:
- BJP is against Dalits, says BSP supremo Mayawati
- 7 people have died with four in Madhya Pradesh and one each in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. More than 200 protesters detained.
- Dramatic video of a man firing bullet using pistol, tweets ANI.
— ANI (@ANI) April 2, 2018
- Protesters claim one Dalit protester died in police lathicharge, police attacked in Firozabad.
- Protesters claim at least one Dalit protester Suresh Chand died during lathi charge by police. District administration however has not confirmed death. But protesters staging a sit in with the deceased’s body on road. Elsewhere live visuals show policemen in Firozabad being attacked by protesters.
- Protesters resort to stone-pelting in Madhya Pradesh, reported ANI. Curfew imposed in Gwalior, Bhind, Morena, Sagar and other places, reports News18. One person is reported to have been killed in the state.
— ANI (@ANI) April 2, 2018
- Rahul Gandhi threw his weight behind the Dalit protesters. His tweet read, “It’s in the DNA of the RSS/BJP to keep Dalits at the lower end of our society. Those who challenge this mindset are crushed through violence. We salute those hundreds of thousands of Dalit brothers and sisters, who’ve taken to streets today.”
- Protesters marching in the national capital
- Protesters being thrashed by police in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut, as reported by ANI.
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 2, 2018
- CBSE exams affected in Punjab due to Bharat Bandh.
- Former deputy chief minister of Bihar, Tejashwi Yadav has hit out at Ravi Shankar Prasad for his statement that the Centre’s Narendra Modi government file a review petition. He tweeted, “First tell why you were unable to present it properly with facts before SC? Why don’t you come up with an ordinance on it rather than review petition? And Why decision of review petition just before.”
- The bandh has been hugely successful in Bihar, where life came to standstill. This image from Darbhanga shows its impact.
दरभंगा( बिहार) में पूरी तरह बंद। अधितकर दलित युवाओं से पूछा-क्यों कर रहे हैं बंद? जवाब था-सरकार हमारा रिज़र्वेशन समाप्त कर रही। ग्राउंड पर नरेटिव इसी तरह बदल जाती है/बदला दी जाती है। pic.twitter.com/Khl93dGaAU
— Narendra nath mishra (@iamnarendranath) April 2, 2018