The suspense over the fourth India-South Africa Test continues as the Delhi High Court on Tuesday adjourned hearing till Wednesday in an application that the DDCA has filed, seeking provisional occupancy of the Ferozeshah Kotla to host the match next month.
A double bench, headed by Badar Durrez Ahmed, heard the parties – DDCA and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) – and adjourned the hearing till Wednesday.
The DDCA approached the court after the Delhi government and the MCD refused to give it permission due to a variety of reasons, including old dues running into crores of rupees, to host the match, starting on 3 December.
The BCCI had set a deadline of 17 November for the DDCA to confirm if it was in a position to host the match. Although the DDCA failed to confirm if it could host the match about its deadline expired, the BCCI extended the deadline as the matter was in the Delhi High Court now.
“DDCA has approached the Delhi High Court with a plea to be allowed to host the fourth Test of the ongoing series between India and South Africa at the Ferozeshah Kotla stadium, Delhi. As the matter is part heard and pending for decision on Wednesday, 18th November, 2015, the BCCI will wait for the court’s decision before deciding on the future course of action,” the BCCI said in a statement on Tuesday evening.
The BCCI has asked Pune to be ready to host the Test if the DDCA fails to stage it.
Meanwhile, the Delhi government on Tuesday made public a report submitted by a three-member inquiry committee specially constituted to look into the malpractices in the DDCA.
The government, however, clarified that the report was not linked to the DDCA hosting the India-South Africa Test.
Crucially, the government also clarified that it would not interfere into the affairs of the Excise Department of Delhi, which has slapped a Rs 24.46 crore entertainment tax on the DDCA.
“Delhi government cannot interfere in the proceedings before tax authorities, which are performing their quasi-judicial functions, and any attempt to link the government with the DDCA tax matter is clearly false and misleading,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the DDCA officials who are in favour of hosting the match have now resigned to their fate as the matter is being heard in a court of law.
Some DDCA officials, however, continued to mislead people by deliberately providing false information.
DDCA treasurer Ravinder Manchanda had claimed on Monday that the Delhi Excise Department had already given permission to the association to host the match by putting the issue of entertainment tax in “abeyance”.
The reality was just the opposite, and this is borne out by the fact that till Tuesday the Excise Department has not given permission.
Manchanda had also claimed on Monday that DDCA working president Chetan Chauhan had secured the MCD’s occupancy certificate by late evening.
It was again a deliberate effort to mislead by providing wrong information, and this was exposed on Tuesday as the DDCA moved the court to seek provisional occupancy certificate from the MCD. If Chauhan had secured permission from the MCD, why did the DDCA move the Delhi High Court?
Some people claimed that DDCA prayer to the court also seeks exemption for the time being from paying the entertainment tax.