Islamic preacher Dr Zakir Naik on Friday held the much-awaited news conference over Skype from Medina in Saudi Arabia.
In his introductory remarks before the question and answer session, the Mumbai-based scholar condemned the terror attack in France’s Nice, where at least 75 people have been killed.
Naik said that he he condemned all terror attacks anywhere in world adding that he will speak for hours if needed.
There was brief pandemonium during the press conference after a question from Zee News reporter irked the Islamic scholar. Naik accused the Zee News reporter of not having ‘tameez.’
It was after Zee News reported asked Naik if he was aware of the percentage of Indian Muslim population, who were uneducated and if he had the knowledge of drop-outs among school students.
Reporter Rakesh Trivedi also went on to ask if the Islamic scholar knew the number of Muslims, who worked at the top levels in Indian industries.
To which, representatives from Naik’s organisation, Islamic Research Foundation, objected calling the question irrelevant for the press conference.
The reported got visibly agitated and demanded an answer to his question prompting Naik to say, “This is not your press conference. If the chairman is saying it’s not relevant, if you don’t have tameez (manners) how to speak to the chairman, then you shouldn’t be on this show (press conference.)”
His press conference in the past has been cancelled three times due to non-availability of venue in Mumbai.
Here are the highlights of what he said;
- Suicide bombing where innocents r killed is haraam.But as tactic of war it is permitted say many scholars
- My replies to all allegations made on TV, are on pen drives for reporters
- Media for ulterior media change meaning. My answers are altered & misguide people. Those who do that should be held responsible
- I challenge you to show me any unedited answer of mine where I have not condemned suicide bombing of the kind that is happening
- Why are you relying on a doctored clip, or an answer which is out of context? I challenge you to show my any unedited clip
- Chapter 5,verse 32 Quran says killing innocents is crime. No scripture othr than Quran says 1 innocent killed is killing humanity
- Ban can only be if country has given downlinking permission. When India hasn’t given then what ban?
- No official government authority has approached us with any question. So far I’ve had no problem with the Indian government and the police.
- Knowingly I have never met any terrorist, but if some ppl stand next to me take photographs, I smile. I don’t know who they are
- I am a messenger of peace. I do not criticise any sect of Islam, I may disagree on interpretations
Responding to Naik’s allegations, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister, Venkaiah Naidu said that the allegation was completely wrong.
(Inputs and image: ANI)