Delhi Lieutenant Governor, Anil Baijal, has reportedly given his approval to the city government’s proposal to take over 449 private unaided schools if they failed to refund excess fee charged from parents despite government orders.
Officials in the Delhi government have been quoted as saying that the private schools in question will now be given two weeks to reply why they will not be taken over the Delhi government. However, Baijal has told the Arvind Kejriwal-led government to ensure that there was no disruption to the current term for the studentsin these schools.
On Monday, Kejriwal tweeted, “Some schools fleecing parents. Parents have complained to me. Govt committed to protect parents’ interests n get extra fee refunded.”
Some schools fleecing parents. Parents have complained to me. Govt committed to protect parents' interests n get extra fee refunded https://t.co/lKBIDcoeQm
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) August 21, 2017
In his first press conference in four months, Delhi chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal, on Friday had said that his government will take over around 449 private schools, which have been served show cause notices over charging extra fee, only as a “last resort” if they do not roll back their decision.
Addressing a press conference, Kejriwal said that the government did not intend to “interfere”, but will surely “discipline” the schools, if needed.
The schools are among the ones identified by a committee headed by Justice Anil Dev Singh as having overcharged parents on the pretext of implementing recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission.
The panel, formed last year, had scrutinised a total of 1,108 private unaided schools.
Kejriwal said among the schools that have not rolled back the fee hike, one had a surplus of Rs 15 crore while another had Rs 5 crore surplus.