Pathankot operation still on, Home Minister avoids media question

1

Embarrassed by a statement indicative of his lack of grasp over the goings on in Pathankot attack, Union Home Minister on Monday avoided making any comments on the terrorist attack on the Indian Air Force base.

Singh, who briefly spoke to reporters on Monday morning, was asked by a journalist to comment on the latest situation in Pathankot.

In response to a question from media, all he could say was that ‘there hasn’t been any change. It’s same as yesterday’s.’

Meanwhile, the operation against the terrorists at Pathankot air base continued for the third day in a row.

There are reports of intermittent blasts and exchange of fire to neutralise two more terrorists believed to be holed up inside the base.

Four terrorists have been killed while seven security personnel have lost their lives and 17 persons are injured in the operation so far.

Air Commodore J S Dhamoon told reporters at a press conferenceon Sunday night that the operation was still continuing and engagement with the terrorists is still going on,

The Air Commodore said four terrorists have been killed, seven security men – one is of Garud, five from Defence Security Corps (DSC) and one from NSG have been martyred in the operation, adding of the

Dhamoon said the operations will continue till the whole of air base is cleared of intruder and any terrorist.

The officer said that there is also firing from other side (militants) in the morning. One NSG officer lost his life and three others suffered injuries when they were defusing the explosive material of a slain militant during which a grenade blast took place.

During the day, five companies of army, armed with bulldozers, JCB were sent to the area to speed up the operation against the terrorists.

Throughout the day choppers kept flying over the air force station to provide aerial support to the ground troops engaged in the operation against the terrorists.

According to reports, suspected militants were holed up in forested area on the backside of the air base from where they are reported to have entered.

Explosions rocked the area with high rise smoke clouds coming from the scene of gunbattle amidst heavy exchang of firing in the afternoon and evening between militants and security forces.

The bodies of Indian soldiers killed were brought to their homes on Monday for their last journey. Families were in mourning as bodies of Garud Commando Gursewak Singh and Lt Colonel Niranjan arrived in their respective homes.

An ocean of humanity gathered to pay their last respect to the martyred soldiers.

(With inputs from PTI)

1 COMMENT

  1. RAJNATH SINGH JHUTHA HAI !!!!!

    Uncertainty prevailed on Saturday night on the number of terrorists killed in the attack on the Pathankot airbase, with Home Minister Rajnath Singh withdrawing a tweet putting the number at five.

    “I congratulate our armed forces and other security forces on successfully neutralising all the five terrorists in ‘Pathankot Operation’,” Rajnath Singh had tweeted on Saturday evening.

    The tweet was, however, withdrawn soon after. At the time of the initial tweet, the number of terrorists killed had been placed at four.

LEAVE A REPLY