The BCCI on Monday banned former IPL Rajasthan Royals off-spinner Ajit Chandila for life for “misconduct and corruption” and leg-spinner Hiken Shah for five years for “inappropriately” approaching his Mumbai teammate Pravin Tambe representing Rajasthan Royals.
Now, both players cannot represent any team or to be associated in any way with the activities of the BCCI or its affiliated associations, said the BCCI in a statement after a meeting of its disciplinary committee, headed by president Shahshank Manohar, in Mumbai on Monday.
However, Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf, who is also charged in an IPL bribery case, did not turn up before the BCCI disciplinary committee meeting on Monday, but told the BCCI to appoint another “enquiry officer” as he feared “no fair enquiry has been conducted in his matter”.
Haryana’s Chandila, who turned 32 last month, was arrested by the Delhi police for allegedly trying to spot-fix IPL games in 2013 along with Rajasthan Royals teammates Sreesanth and Ankit Chavan, both of whom had earlier been banned for life by the BCCI.
Shah, 31, approached Pravin Tambe, also his Mumbai teammate, when he was representing Rajasthan Royals. Tambe reported the approach it to Rajasthan Royals management, which passed on the information to the BCCI’s Anti-Corruption Unit.
The disciplinary committee met at Board’s headquarters, Cricket Centre, in Mumbai today and pronounced the orders in the case of Ajit Chandila and Hiken Shah, said the BCCI statement.
“Ajit Chandila: He is held guilty of misconduct and corruption within the Articles 2.1.1; Article 2.1.2; Article 2.1.3; Article 2.1.4; Article 2.2.2; Article 2.2.3; Article 2.4.1 of the BCCI Anti-Corruption Code,” it said. “Ajit Chandila is banned for life from playing or representing cricket in any form or to be associated in any way with the activities of the Board or its affiliates.”
On Hiken Shah, the BCCI said, “He is held guilty of committing breach of Articles 2.1.1; Article 2.1.2 and Article 2.1.4 of the BCCI Anti Corruption Code. Hiken Shah is banned for five years from playing or representing cricket in any form or to be associated in any way with the activities of the Board or its affiliates.”
The Board said that Rauf had been given more time to respond.
“The hearing of Asad Rauf was scheduled for today. He did not appear in person but sent a reply stating that no fair enquiry has been conducted in his matter and hence a de novo enquiry be held by appointing another enquiry officer. The said request was rejected by the disciplinary committee,” it said.
“The committee gave him a final opportunity to submit his written statement if any, and produce documents on which he proposes to rely on before February 9. The date of the hearing and the final order has been scheduled for February 12 at Cricket Centre, Mumbai,” it said.