A central government notification on Sunday said that 20 AAP MLAs of Delhi Assembly had been disqualified, reported news agency PTI. ANI reported that President Ram Nath Kovind had approved the recommendation of disqualification made by the Election Commission.
This was a day after Delhi deputy chief minister, Manish Sisodia, told reporters that he had sought time with the President to share their grievances on the issue. Reacting to the development, Delhi government’s minister, Gopal Rai said, “We had hoped to go to the President asking him to give us a chance to present ourselves. Now we received this news. AAP will knock the doors of the High Court and even the Supreme Court if the need be.”
The Congress, on the other hand, alleged that the AAP was helped by the ruling BJP since the latter’s government at the Centre deliberately did not disqualify the 20 MLAs before the Rajya Sabha election.
The party’s Delhi unit chief, Ajay Maken said, “AAP has been helped by BJP & EC by delaying the decision for over 3 weeks. If decision would have come before 22nd Dec, these 20 MLAs would’ve been disqualified & couldn’t have voted for RS elections.”
The AAP had approached the High Court on Friday with the judge adjourning the matter for hearing on Monday. On Friday, the EC lawyer had reportedly expressed ignorance on any recommendations made by the poll body.
The EC had on Friday made its recommendations disqualifying the 20 AAP MLAs in office for profit case.