The Bombay High Court on Thursday said Bollywood megastar Salman Khan “cannot be convicted” on the basis of the evidence produced by the prosecution in a hit-and-run case.
Justice A.R. Joshi, who was making his observations as the open-court dictation of his verdict entered the last lap, said the “prosecution failed to establish the charges (against Salman) on all counts”.
Justice Joshi’s much-awaited verdict in Salman’s appeal challenging his conviction and five-year sentence by the Sessions Court on May 6, is expected to be delivered on Thursday afternoon in the presence of the actor.
Earlier on Wednesday, the court had ruled that there was no evidence to prove that Salman was drunk or driving the ill-fated Toyota Land Cruiser on September 28, 2002 when it met with an accident and mowed down one pavement dweller and injured four others.
Salman tweeted saying he had accepted the judiciary’s verdict with ‘humility.’
His tweet said, “I accept the decision of the judiciary with humility. I thank my family, friends & fans for their support & prayers (sic)”
Bollywood singer turned politician, Babul Supriya, said that people should respect the judiciary.
He told ANI, “We should respect judiciary’s verdict and abide by it.”