Bollywood actor Kartik Aryan too has joined the list of Bollywood celebs, who have extended their support to filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani on MeToo allegations levelled against him.
Speaking on the sidelines of a PETA event, Aryan, said that it will not be fair to comment on the matter until the charges against him were proven in a court of law. News agency quoted him as saying, “We all have been fans of his work. I think till the time it is legally proven by the court of law, we can’t comment about it.”
Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety actor went on to add that India needed a proper ‘legal route to investigate’ such allegations. He told IANS, “It’s sad if such cases are happening not just in our industry but also in some other industry. I am totally against it.”
His comments came days after noted lyricist Javed Akhtar tweeted calling Hirani a decent person. His tweet had read, “I had come to the film industry in 1965. After so many years if I am asked who are the most decent people you met in this industry over almost 5 decades, perhaps the first name that will come to my mind is RAJU HIRANI. G.B Shaw has said . “ it is too dangerous to be too good.”
I had come to the film industry in 1965. After so many years if I am asked who are the most decent people you met in this industry over almost 5 decades, perhaps the first name that will come to my mind is RAJU HIRANI. G.B Shaw has said . “ it is too dangerous to be too good”
— Javed Akhtar (@Javedakhtarjadu) January 16, 2019
Earlier Dia Mkirza, Arshad Warsi, Boney Kapoor and Harman Joshi had extended support to Hirani.
Allegations by former woman employee
The woman, according to Huffpost India, had written in her email that Hirani had first passed sexually suggestive remarks to her on 9 April, last year. He, according to the woman, later sexually assaulted her at his home office.
“I remember forming these words on my lips – ‘Sir, This is wrong. Because of this power structure. You being the absolute power and me being a mere assistant, a nobody – I will never be able to express myself to you’,”she wrote in her email, according to Huffpost India.
The woman added, “My mind, body and heart were grossly violated that night and for the next 6 months.” She said that she was unable to quit her job and go public with her experience since her father was terminally ill and no one would have given her a job if Hirani spoke ill about her. The complainant also said that she was ‘intimidated by Hirani,’ who was her reporting person at the time adding that she had no option but to maintain a facade of normalcy.
“I had no choice but to be polite to him. It was unbearable but the reason I endured it all, until I couldn’t, was because I didn’t want my job to be taken away from me, and work to be questioned. Ever.
“I was worried that if I left midway, it would be impossible to find another job in this industry if he were to speak badly about my work. Because if Hirani said I wasn’t good, everybody would listen. My future would be in jeopardy,” she added.
Anupama Chopra confirmed receiving her email adding that Vinod Chopra Films has since set up a committee to address complaints of sexual harassment.