After biopic on Narendra Modi, Election Commission also bans NaMo TV

2

The Election Commission’s order banning the release of the biopic on Narendra Modi also applies to the controversial NaMo TV, which is currently being aired on all DTH platforms. The launch of NaMo TV had causes quite a furore as opposition parties demanded its band.

NaMo TV

Modi himself had tweeted about the channel that broadcasts speeches of the Prime Minister round the clock.

While banning the release of Vivek Oberoi’s biopic on the prime minister, the Election Commission’s order 10.2 said, “…Any poster or publicity material concerning any such certified content, which either depicts a candidate (including prospective) for the furtherance (or purported to further) of electoral prospect, directly or indirectly, shall not be put to display in electronic media in the area where MCC (Model Code of Conduct) is in operation.”

Later, a report by News18 quoted an Election Commission official as saying that the same order also applied to NaMo TV. This means that the NaMo TV has to be taken off air.

The Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party have approached the Election Commission over the launch of NaMo TV ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, the national poll body sought a report from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry. According to the Congress and the AAP, the launch of NaMo TV on 31 March violated the model code of conduct.

On Thursday last week, Tata Sky had said that NaMo TV was a ‘Hindi news service’ that provided the ‘latest breaking news on national politics’ and viewers had no option to delete the channel from their packs. This was later contradicted by the DTH provider’s CEO.

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here