The average annual salary for software application developers was $103,620 in 2018, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. These developers include MCSDs or Microsoft Certified Solutions Developers as well. An MCSD is at the same level as a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE). This course for developers by Microsoft was designed to enable the growth of the practical skills needed to create applications and services for web and mobile.
Should I Get an MCSD Certification?
The Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) program has been designed for software developers to showcase their ability to construct solutions using both manual and cloud-based technologies. This certification is widely accepted as the global standard for developers.
There are many reasons to get an MCSD certification:
- It is a prestigious certification
- It is affordable
- You get the confidence and satisfaction of achieving a milestone professional goal.
- You hone your developer skills, which makes you stand out among your peers.
- You become a certified expert when it comes to web application and solutions developments.
- Improved skills mean better opportunities, higher pay packages, and roles in reputed companies.
- You will have the skills necessary to start your own business and offer application solutions to organisations.
- A growing number of professionals are realising the importance of an MCSD certification. This has led to MCSD becoming a more coveted certification, both among employers and employees.
There are no specific prerequisites for an MCSD certification. However, many developers have at least a Bachelor’s degree in an IT or non-IT related field.
Professionals who want to get this certification should have experience with different Microsoft tools and should know how to analyse and create enterprise solutions. Microsoft recommends at least 1-2 years of experience with a particular technology solution for multiple certification exams.
MCSDs should also have strong problem-solving skills and good communication skills, along with working knowledge of the .NET framework and Visual Studio, among other software development programs.
To get a certification, applicants must pass one MCSD elective examination. Current elective exams focus on
- Microsoft Azure – developing solutions, architecting solutions, and the development of Azure and web services
- Microsoft Visual Studio – administering team foundation servers, software tests, and application lifecycle management
One major advantage of an MCSD certification is that you don’t need recertification. Even then, candidates can choose to re-earn the certification and keep themselves in top form by passing the new elective exam added to their transcripts every year. This is a best practice recommended by Microsoft so that developers never stop learning.
Why Is 70-487 The Best?
The 70-487 exam is known as Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services. It is one of the most widely used software and a globally acclaimed microsoft certification. This exam requires a demonstration of your skills in designing and developing web services capable of local and remote data access from varied sources. Getting this certification qualifies you for an application developer position.
Objectives of the 70-487 exam:
The Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services exam tests the following technical skills:
- Accessing data
- Consuming and creating web API-based services
- Manipulating and querying data using the entity framework
- Deploying web services and applications
- Designing web services
Steps To Getting Your MCSD Certification:
STEP 1: Research the options and choose a certification and career path
There are many applications or products that Microsoft offers certifications in. As an applicant, you need to research and choose the right application to specialise in. Some of these applications are designed for web-based development, others for web-based applications, while others for application development.
Elective Exams For MCSD
You must clear one MCSD elective exam from the following options:
- 70-357: Developing Mobile Apps
- 70-483: Programming in C#
- 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications
- 70-487: Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services
STEP 2: Complete a Prep Course for the Certification
There is no one right way to prepare for the certification. You can enroll in an MCSD online training program, preferably one that is acclaimed by Microsoft. Koenig is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner that offers online training from the comfort of your home, at any date you choose. All training programs come with a Guaranteed Exam Passing Attendance. These courses offer specific training and focus on essential exam topics.
STEP 3: Look For Further Certification
Once you are prepared for the exam, there is only one thing left to do – give your best. But even though this certification is an important career milestone, getting an MCSD certification is not the end of the road. As a software development professional, the most important thing for your career is a continuous learning process. Aim higher and continue to research and get professional certifications relevant to your field.
It’s time to take the first step today. Find the product that you are interested in, and start your journey towards a brighter career.