The Delhi government will move the Supreme Court against the Delhi High Court order on Friday that quashed the executive decision to get the accounts of the capital’s three private power distribution companies (discoms) audited by the CAG.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the high court order upholding the discoms’ objection to getting their accounts audited by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India was a temporary setback for the people of the Delhi and that he was committed to provide cheap electricity to people.
“Delhi High Court order is a temporary setback for the people of Delhi. Delhi government will soon file an appeal in SC,” Kejriwal said. “I am committed to providing cheap electricity to people of Delhi. Our fight will continue,” he added in a series of tweets.
Earlier in the day, a division bench of the Delhi High Court, comprising Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice R.S. Endlaw, quashed the government decision to get the three discoms’ account books scrutinised by the CAG.
The AAP government in January 2014 ordered an audit of the three discoms amidst allegations that they had shown inflated expenses.
The high court order came on pleas filed by the three discoms — Tata Power Delhi Distribution, BSES Rajdhani Power and BSES Yamuna Power. The companies contested the Delhi government’s decision and said they were not government entities and private companies were beyond the jurisdiction of the CAG.