Reserve Bank of India Governor, Raghuram Rajan, on Tuesday said that revealing whether he’s getting the second term would be “cruel” to spoil the fun.
During the media interaction, according to PTI, Rajan anticipated a question on extension of his tenure after the current three year term comes to an end on September 4.
By his own admission he said that he had come with a prepared statement on the issue to the press conference on the second bi-monthly monetary policy for 2016-17.
“Seriously, in such cases a decision is reached after discussion between government and the incumbent. I am sure you will know when there is news,” he said.
Refusing to reveal his mind on a second term, Rajan said he was “personally intrigued by all the letters I am supposed to have written” on the issue.
Ananda Bazar Patrika had recently carried a report based on a letter allegedly written by Rajan to Prime Minister Narendra Modi turning down the second term as the RBI Governor.
He said, “As far as the question of my continuing in the position after 4 September goes, it would be cruel of me to spoil the fun that press is having with all its speculation,” Rajan said.
He said he can only point to the statements made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as well as Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on the issue.
Jaitley had in an interview to PTI last week denounced any personal attack on Rajan saying the debate should be about the issues and policies, and not about the personalities.