No professional jealousy behind HDFC executive’s murder, Siddharth Sanghvi killed by 20-year-old Sarfaraz Shaikh


In a fresh twist to the sensational murder of Mumbai’s HDFC vice-president, Siddharth Sanghvi, it had emerged that the 39-year-old executive was murdered by 20-year-old driver Sarfaraz Shaikh.

Siddharth Sanghvi

The latest revelation has debunked the earlier theories that Shaikh may have been hired by a jealous colleague of the deceased to have him killed. According to the Mumbai Police, Shaikh desperately needed Rs 35,000 to pay off his loans. On the fateful night, he corned Sanghvi in the parking area and demanded money. He later stabbed him to death after Sanghvi attempted to raise an alarm.

Shaikh later took Sanghvi’s body to Thane and after dumping the body there he returned to Navi Mumbai.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Abhinash Kumar was quoted as saying that Shaikh was apprehended from Navi Mumbai before being handed over to Mumbai Police, which formally arrested him on Monday.

Sanghvi’s killer also called his father two days after his murder. He reportedly told his father that his son was safe and he did not need to worry. The call, according to the police, was made from Sanghvi’s phone, albeit using a  different SIM card. The police found the phone in Shaikh’s possession.

Shaikh was produced before a lower court, which sent Sarfaraz Shaikh to police custody till 19 September.

The cops had registered a case of missing person after Sanghvi’s wife approached them on 5 September. Sanghvi’s car, a Maruti Suzuki Ignis, was found near a residential building in Koparkhairane with blood stains on the rear seat. The police had also found a knife, which was believed to have been sued to kill Sanghvi, from the car.

Sanghvi’s wife had contacted the cops on 5 September to lodge a missing report about her husband. She had told the police that her husband left his office around 8.30 pm but went incommunicado after that.

The police cracked the case after examining the CCTV footage of the Kamala Mills compound in the Lower Parel area, where Sanghvi was last seen walking towards the car park. Police suspect that Sanghvi may have been murdered in the same car park.

The police said that Sanghvi’s phone was switched off before he left Kamala Mill premises. “We have checked his call data record and found his last location at Kamala Mill. As his wife could not reach him till 10 pm, she came to the police station and registered a missing complaint on Wednesday itself,” one officer was quoted by Indian Express.

Four people are reported to have been detained in connection with the murder even as the cops make desperate attempts to trace the dead body. The alleged kilelr has reportedly told the cops how he dumped Sanghvi’s body in Navi Mumbai after brutally killing him.

The deceased is survived by his wife and a four-year-old son, all residents of Mumbai’s affluent Malabar Hills.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here